Thursday 5 February 2015

CSC148 Lecture Week 5

  The first few weeks of class have been OK. Object oriented programming is a topic that I rather like. I have previous OOP experience in Java, so the fact that Python has no real concept of privacy is rather surprising. Using property in Python is interesting. It really makes me think about the public client interface of code vs the private implementation of code and I think that it is a really good idea. When I use built in functions like sort on a list for example, I don't really care what algorithm is being used. I just expect it to be fast. If a better way of sorting a list is discovered, it's good to know that my code will not be affected if the function is changed.

  I'm liking the way that we trace recursion in class. It is helping me understand recursion a little better. I like having a visual representation of recursion since I am a visual learner. It was hard for me to picture what was going on with recursive functions, but I now have a better tool for helping me.

  What I'm disliking about the lectures so far is their focus on the assignments. I think that it's really helpful for the professor to give tips on assignments and take questions during lecture time, but it always seems to end up eating up a massive amount of the lecture time. I want to learn concepts during lecture time and then apply them to assignments. A lot of the questions asked are being repeated or are asking for what seems like hand-holding. Asking assignment specific questions wastes the time we could spend learning general concepts that will be applicable to future situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment