Monday 19 January 2015

CSC148 Lecture Week 3

And here I was thinking that I had written my last SLOG. But now I am back to the wonderful world of blogging for class.

This week's topic is: Why do geeks need to learn how to write? My answer is pretty simple: Documentation. In the wise words of the Mythbusters, "The only difference between science and screwing around it writing it down". Programming and computers may seem highly individual, but in reality they require a lot of teamwork. The apps, websites, and programs that we use everyday were not built by one person. Programmers need to be able to communicate ideas and tell each other how their code works. This requires us to be able write clearly and concisely in a way that another human being can understand.

I for one hate writing comments, but no one (at least I'm assuming) likes to read uncommented code. I can't read the mind of whoever wrote the code. The code could be the most innovative amazing thing ever, but if I can't understand it, it is of no use to me. My human brain needs some plain English to process what it going on.

As another blogger points out, knowing how to write also helps us understand the problems we are trying to solve. Computer programming is fundamentally about solving problems, and we have to know what we are trying to solve before even attempting to do something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment